Healthy skin is characterized by that it is soft, supple and moist, but it may suffer from dryness and peeling at times, and in the event that appropriate action is not taken to solve the problem and help the skin return to normal, severe dryness may lead to the appearance of cracks in the skin, which may be painful at times,  In fact, some areas of the body are affected more than others by severe dehydration that results in the appearance of cracks, and perhaps the most prominent of these areas are the lips, hands , and feet, and the causes of this problem vary, such as; Frequent showers, use of some types of soap, frequent hand washing, prolonged exposure of the skin to the sun and air, the habit of lip-licking, thumb sucking, as well as some genetic factors, In addition, winter is considered one of the main causes of dry and cracked skin. Where the cold weather outside, and the heat generated by the means of heating inside, lead to dry skin, which may develop causing cracks or infections. 
The following simple tips and home procedures can help treat cracked skin and may reduce the likelihood of it occurring later:
Skin moisturizing tips
It includes the following tips:
- Use moisturizing creams or natural oils after each shower, so that they cover the skin of the body completely, and it is preferable that the body is not completely dried, and in fact this method ensures the retention of moisture inside the skin. 
- Choose a face moisturizer suitable for the skin so that it retains the moisture of the skin, with the need to be careful not to contain aromatic or alcoholic substances.  As for hand moisturizer, it is a good idea to wipe the lotion over the entire hand, with the need to moisturize the nails and their surroundings. 
- It is recommended to use body lotions several times and regularly during the day, with a minimum of 5-6 times, and placing packages of moisturizing cream in the bathroom, inside the handbag, and in the office is a successful method to facilitate its use. 
- The use of emollients that make the skin soft and elastic, by lubricating the surface of the skin, filling the cracks in the skin, and helping the edges of the cells to stick together again, and examples of emollients are lanolin , jojoba oil, and palmitate Isopropyl and Squalene .  Coconut oil is also an effective moisturizer for the skin, and it can be applied to all parts of the body, even sensitive areas such as under the eyes and around the mouth. 
- Use of humectants that pull moisture from the environment to supply the outer layer of the skin with water, and examples of moisturizers include glycerine , hyaluronic acid , sorbitol , and urea . 
- Using thick therapeutic moisturizers if the degree of dryness is great, or if there is pain or bleeding from the cracks, before bedtime with the necessity to wear socks for the feet, or gloves for the hands to keep the moisturizer throughout the night. Examples of moisturizers are rich and dense dimethicone , cocoa butter, shea butter, and beeswax. Vaseline can also be used ;  It is characterized by its oily nature that succeeds in keeping it on the skin for a relatively long time, and prevents water evaporation from the skin. 
- Applying an appropriate lip balm that ensures the necessary moisture and protection for the lips from cold and dry weather, and it is preferable that lip balm contains beeswax or Vaseline to ensure the highest degree of hydration. As for the problem of chapped lips in newborns, it can be treated by wiping the lips with a little mother's milk. 
- Gently use the black stone to remove the layers of hard skin tissue on the heel of the foot , then apply a layer of moisturizer or lotion that contains keratolytic substances or substances that retain moisture such as; Urea, salicylic acid, and alpha-hydroxy acids (Alpha-hydroxy acids);  The black stone helps remove dead layers of skin and improves the absorption of moisturizing cream from the surface of the skin. 
- Drinking enough fluids protects your body completely from dehydration. 
Skin cleaning tips
It includes the following tips:
- Reducing the time spent in the shower so that it does not exceed 5-10 minutes, as this helps to protect the skin from drying, and it is preferable to try to avoid showering more than once a day, in addition to the importance of using warm or lukewarm water during the shower; Very hot water can remove the oily layer on the surface of the skin.  In fact, it is possible to do soaks for cracked feet and add some natural materials that help relieve dry skin , and treat cracking. Examples of these materials are; Almond oil, avocado oil, and oatmeal. 
- Avoid using soaps and cleaning products that contain violent substances on the skin, which cause dryness, irritation, or inflammation of the skin such as alcohol and perfumes, and replace them with mild and gentle soaps on the skin, which contain substances that retain skin moisture such as; Paraffin, lanolin, or contain substances suitable for sensitive skin such as; Sulfuric acid. 
- Clean the face gently and gently using the fingertips, with the need not to rub the face with tools that cause irritation, and in fact it is recommended for people with dry skin to clean the face of the impurities and dirt that have stuck to it in the evening only, with the aim of preserving the important oil layer of skin moisture, as for skin peeling, do not It is recommended to do a daily facial peeling, with the possibility of doing it once a week. 
- Avoid using toners or astringents that contain alcohol, with the possibility of using a milky cleanser, or a gentle foaming cleanser, in addition to avoiding face masks made of clay, because they pull moisture from the facial skin. 
Other tips for treating cracking
Among the other tips that can be followed to protect the skin and treat the condition of cracked skin, the following are:
- Choosing a face cream that combines good moisturizing of the skin and protection from the sun ,  with the need to pay attention to that the use of sunscreen is not limited to the summer season, but the skin must be protected from damage and used throughout the year even during the winter season, and it is preferable to use a broad sunblock Spectrum on the face and hands 30 minutes before leaving the house, with the need to repeat it if you stay outside the home for a long time. 
- Use a scarf to cover the face when exposed to cold weather outside the home; Cold weather only makes the problem worse. 
- The use of humidifiers in the rooms of the house; As household heating means pull moisture from the air,  and make the atmosphere inside the house warm and dry, which may cause dryness and cracks for sensitive skin, so humidifiers secure the home air with the appropriate humidity. 
- Avoid licking lips; As the saliva evaporating from the lips quickly makes the problem worse, and try to use the nose and close the mouth during the breathing process, to protect the lips from drying out. 
- Choose the right lip balm when going outdoors; Where it is preferable to contain the sun protection factor, especially when spending a long time in the sun. 
- Wearing gloves when going out of the house for long periods, especially during cold days,  in addition to the necessity to wear appropriate gloves when working with water, such as washing dishes and cleaning household utensils, in order to protect the natural oily layer of the skin. 
- Applying medicinal preparations containing hydrocortisone , in case the dryness of the skin worsens to infection with dermatitis ; Where hydrocortisone reduces skin irritation. 
- Avoid wearing gloves and socks if they get wet. Moisture with socks or gloves can cause skin irritation, itching, and chapping. 
- Choose fabrics made of natural fibers, which allow the skin of the body to breathe, and do not cause irritation and irritation to the skin. Examples of these types of fabrics are cotton and silk. 
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acid such as; Salmon, in addition to eating foods rich in antioxidants such as; Berries, tomatoes, carrots, and lentils. 
- ^ A b T w Diana is Rodriguez (29-4-2010), "4 Solutions ' For Dry, Cracked Skin" , Www.everydayhealth.com , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ↑ Barton Schmitt, "Cracked or Dry Skin" , www.healthychildren.org , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ^ A b T w Susan Davis , (21-12-2007), "10 Winter Skin Care Tips" , the www.webmd.com , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ^ A b t w c h x Natalie 's a Silver (17-1-2017), "Everything You Should Know View About Dry Skin On Having a Your Face" , Www.healthline.com , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ^ A b t w c h by Shelley Levitt (5-1-2011), "Prevent And Soothe Chapped Hands Winter" , the www.webmd.com , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ^ A b t by Sarah Taylor (20-4-2017), "8 Menu Home Remedies For Dry Skin" , Www.healthline.com , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ^ A b t w Lindsey Konkel (19-10-2016), "What 'Post Are Chapped of Lips?" , Www.everydayhealth.com , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ↑ Vanessa Ngan (2006), "Cracked heel" , www.dermnetnz.org , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ^ A b Mayo , Clinic Staff (27-10-2016), "Dry Skin" , Www.mayoclinic.org , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.
- ^ A b Chaunie Brusie (27-3-2017), "How To To the Heal And Prevent Dry Hands" , Www.healthline.com , Retrieved 13-6-2018. Edited.