Saturated fat is also known as saturated fatty acid, and in English it is called saturated fatty acid , which is a fatty acid in which all the carbon atoms saturated with hydrogen are composed; That is, it contains the largest number of hydrogen that you can carry, and all the bonds between the carbon atoms within the chain are single bonds.
Characteristics of saturated fats
- Keeps firmness at room temperature.
- It cannot be hydrogenated.
- It does not dissolve in water.
Saturated fat formula
It forms a carbon atom saturated with three hydrogen atoms, then a repeating chain made up of intermediate carbon atoms, and a carboxyl group known as the acidic part (COOH) at the end of the chain.
Note: All saturated fatty acids are the same, but they differ in terms of chain length, for example: saturated citric acid contains eighteen carbon atoms.
Benefits of eating saturated fats
- Increases energy level in the body.
- It is involved in the manufacture and construction of hormones and some other compounds inside the body.
- Give the body a feeling of satiety after eating.
- Digestion slows down so food stays in the stomach for a longer period.
Harms of saturated fats
When excessive intake of saturated fats, it causes the following:
- Raises the level of harmful cholesterol in the blood, causing heart disease and arteriosclerosis.
- It leads to obesity, which causes many problems, such as: diabetes, joint and bone infections.
Sources of saturated fats
- Saturated fats: Dairy products, coconut butter, red meat, and vegetable oils such as: palm oil and coconut oil.
- Harmful saturated fats: white meat, butter, chicken skin, and night; Any anointing.
Ways to get rid of body fat
- Following a special diet in which we warn what we eat, it is best to avoid fatty foods such as ice cream, or a sandwich of grilled cheese, red meat, and full-fat milk before bed.
- Refrain from eating a lot of sugars, as simple sugars, specifically fructose, present in fruits raise the proportion of fats in the body.
- Increase your intake of dietary fiber because it reduces fat to a great extent.
- Avoid sugary drinks such as soft drinks and sugary drinks that contain fructose.
- Eat fish instead of red meat. Where omega-3 fatty acids help to reduce the proportion of fat, and it is very important for the health of the heart, and it is best to eat it at least twice a week, and among the most important types of fish containing omega-3: salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines, and tuna.
- Doing exercises for thirty minutes five days of the week, such as: swimming, dancing, and brisk walking.